Thursday, October 12

My New Favorite Blog

Lately, I have been fascinated by OrthoMom, a blog written by an Orthodox Jewish mother living in the New York area.

Click here to read her update on a developing scandal in Staten Island, about a kosher grocery store selling non-kosher chickens as kosher birds, at a kosher price premium.

The tale reminds me of one told by my Great-grandmother, about why she stopped keeping kosher.

During Butte's heyday, there were three synagogues and a kosher butcher. My great-grandmother kept kosher, and regularly purchased the family meat from that schochet. One day, it became known that the butcher bought one cow from a local rancher. The next day, the shop had three fresh beef tongues for sale.

The next day, my great-grandmother stopped keeping kosher.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps prior to speaking (and writing) Loshen Hora...yoou may want to actual read the blog by orthomom you refer to...There WERE NEVER ISSUES OF KASHRUS> the store in question supposedly mislabeled an KAJ or similiar chicken, as an Empire..BOTH KOSHER> PAY ATTENTION> Bracha66

Treasure State Jew said...

Bracha;

You are right. A more thorough reading of Orthomom's blog makes it obvious that while the store in question may have been overcharging customers, they were not passing off non-kosher birds as kosher.

The situation in question is several thousand miles away, and I linked to the blog because I found it interesting and reminded me of the stories told to me by my bubbe and alta-bubbe about the kosher shochet in Butte around 1915.

I apologize for any misrepresentation. However, I still find the blog interesting.

B"Shalom,
Aaron

Treasure State Jew said...

Bracha;

OK, I am now paying more attention. This article says that the store in question was selling non-kosher birds.

Aaron